Search This Blog

Monday, October 15, 2018

Durga - The Knowing Of


Picture sourced from internet  - an exhibit at a museum in Spain. 

Negotiating the Fabric 

Her enigmatic attire reveals itself! Clay has been awakened and ripples like the silken fabric of the universe that it originally was. Durga’s saree is “shompoorno mati”(entirely clay/mud). I had my  Eureka moment when I saw the beautiful naked power of Team Durga in the sculpture I use here as my cover picture. She made me move a weary limb or two so I could get a brief taste of Shashthi evening, such was her magnetic energy. 

The trek was fraught with some success and some disappointment. The hand has been hurting but if it stays dry I am blessed. The walk on the rough-and-stumble of our roads, brought back my uneasy body ache and I’m hoping I last the season of good cheer. I am back after the pesky evening chores at home. It is nearly 10:30. And I am back to contemplating the silken clay from the beds of sacred rivers. I wonder which waters the clay of her beautiful twin aanchal (pallu) traversed before it threw itself up on the shoulders of the Hooghly for the craftsmen to lovingly shape and texture with their hands. Whoever made this Durga gave her divinely perfect hands.


Lotus hands- they seem least interested in weapons. They are like magical diyas waiting for one touch of light to illuminate them like the 108 lamps of Sandhi Puja.


I like to picture his weathered rough hands giving life to hers. Lotus like, soft and supple yet firm with their deep red centers like the inner petals that hold the yellow pollen in close embrace. Her hands are trusting and open. The lotus has unfurled.

The usually banal Facebook greeted me this morning with a picture I thought of as I remembered bathos and the need to reverse it. The morning’s theme - here it is.


Durga actually awakened Facebook - there is hope!
The hands meeting in the central embrace of Namaste connected me with the artist and his muse, hand to hand. Her hand in his, a clay sculptor in embrace with his beloved creation, bringing them both alive as one. I contemplate the twin aanchal. It is like a shawl of honor, the kind you drape on an artist or writer lauding their contribution in lifting you to a higher plane. Yaa Devi – is this a Lajja Roop*? Is the artist’s shawl of honor into which he retreats gracefully as it is drapes his shoulders, also a reminder of humility?

I need to get back to the pandal. With zoom lens in hand. It will be tough tomorrow capturing the folds of her clay garments hiding beneath her garlands. But one can try. Back in 1985 there was a Shampoorna Matir Pratima – even the white “shola” work was fashioned out of clay. She came alive so solid, with a mere suggestion of the ethereal, tremendous power in her red and white. A powerful, minimalist depiction of what she stood for. If only I’d had a camera with me. She was different. She was young and full of fire. The deity I beheld today,  has been a mother for far too long. She is mellow.

Dinner awaits. Writing pages and its ancillary posts relieves pain. I just wish I could take on a ten day writing challenge and do nothing besides. There would be no demons left – just a wonderful release of energy. A personal Vijaya Dashami! 

To that day, in hope!


*see 16.1 of link

This post was created on 7/10/2016 and being shared today for the first time

8 comments:

  1. Intresting information and beautiful imagery.I love it..the way she holds herself together and yet spreads her arms all around...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that observation. She was so full of that half unfurled lotus energy - the lotus in her hand being a half open one

      Delete
  2. Your prose flows like poetry... You stretched out one mood into eternity, much like the river that is the source of clay for the goddess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! That was profound. Heartfelt thank you!

      Delete
  3. Loved it! It's amazing how the hands of the sculptor gradually becomes rugged as he gains experience and finesse sculpting the idol. Like an inverse relationship between roughness of hands and beauty of the idol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - thank you so much Arkadeep (I think that must be you). That is a wonderful way to express it. Yes an inverse relationship, the two complementing and completing each other year after year with changing cadences and rhythms. There is music in that relationship between the two.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful blog. The power and gentleness residing in the features and stance of Durga is the most potent expression of womanhood I know. Ma Kali is pure badass, and I love her for it, but though I am not a believer at all, I am almost always caught by how much she embodies qualities we would cherish in is as women. Thank you for sharing this, even 4 years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting dear Lali. I feel the same resonance with these feminine forces. I had shared it in 2016 in its raw form and then shared it in 2018 on this blog with some changes. It's her season now so I put it up again. I have a few more on this theme and I will tag you. Keep visiting

      Delete

Your turn to write ... don't leave it unwritten