Search This Blog

Saturday, November 7, 2020

Opening That Trunk

27th September 2016 

Welcome to the book. I have finally opened a portal to the seashore cottage in Maine. My mind is now split between two locales. One is the site of the unfolding fireside drama in Maine and the other a metaphorical place that straddles my home, the pandals and homes of Kolkata and the “para” or the location of my accustomed Puja. It would be around 55 times in all, maybe a little less if you count all those years that we went someplace either for fun or out of compulsion. While the scenario of those nine nights and ten days unfolds in that imaginary-cum-real space, the Maine work of the day will find coexistence and co-celebration with it.

There is a big unsolved riddle and that’s around how the growling stomach will be pacified and more so the dirty dishes and floor will be redeemed in manner befitting an auspicious home where a kalasha is installed to symbolize the Devi. Because come the day and hour and we will have an exodus from here that the old Israelites could never have matched. An exodus of all those who serve me. It remains a mystery to me who remains to keep the city spinning 24x7 during those days, keep the streets spanking clean and all those growling stomachs filled. Why does this have to be my lot in life – year after year after year? A passing thought comes to me. Why were the forefathers of these gentle folk not hurtling back to their villages like maniacs for every celebration? While it is cool that everything is now celebrated everywhere, we need to find a way that sprites and spooks can take over these dreadful chores.

I turn my mind away from negative thoughts. Let God scrub and clean during that festive week if she will. I am mentally prepared to eat four junk meals a day outside and just hope it doesn’t come pouring. From the banal that always tends to take hold like a monster lurking for revenge, I push my thoughts back to the delightful escape that writing offers me. And I think about my fellow writers who must be struggling with similar problems and still managing to actually write. They are all ahead of me. I am perhaps the least prolific writer I know.

The puja week will be packed. There will be a line up of outings, and a line up of home celebrations. Perhaps Sailesh will end up washing the dishes ☺.

I find it remarkably easy to run up 750 words when I type. And these pages are becoming kind of bloated as the days go by. Perhaps there are more thoughts than I can hold on to and it’s a good idea to throw some of them out into a safe place where they can vent and ventilate.

I think about how the first guests are arriving. It’s a scene that’s halfway between Navaratri and Onam. Because we welcome them with an Onam arrangement – that’s created by none other than Kim. And we have a lamp lighting ceremony. Because these kids have read about all these practices and they are going to be living several of them in the story. Kim and I need to discuss what else we welcome them with. I recall the way we had our celebrations in my childhood. The focus was on the home and not on the pandal.

Our home was special because we had people from all over visiting to enjoy our kolu – the tiered display of dolls and figurines and all kinds of art work. While other homes had ready made steps we were always the kings and queens of jugaad. This house has been like a camping site since its very inception and today it’s more like a Howrah station from which the passengers have mysteriously disappeared leaving their luggage.

Well our navaratri steps also wore a different kind of transitory aspect from that which steps convey(I don’t think that is the intention but more a vertical arrangement that saves space). Our steps were built out of boxes, trunks, suitcases. Arranging those was the most exciting part and we would all heave and haul. As manpower became more scarce we would make somewhat smaller arrangements. And as I grew older we went back to more extravagant displays. The last ever was 1979. Its hard to believe what a sudden and abrupt end the whole beautifully creative celebration encountered. It was that house, that other house of heritage.

Till date I plan that the coming year will see this exhibition restored to its former glory. We have twice the number of suitcases and all the original artifacts have remained in their own trunk, unopened since – yes since 1979 when they were put away. I have no clue whether they still exist or they have had their own form of visarjan. I almost don’t have the courage to open the trunk and I was hoping a good friend would be around to hold me up through whatever would happen. I remember all the clay models that were lovingly sourced from Kalighat’s potuapara. The very last entrant was a miniature Durga who came in much later from a fair or an emporium.

Last year I visited Potuapara and posted pictures and videos.


Ganesh in the making
You can order your own stuff as well when it’s off season. When mom’s house was disbanded she salvaged the clay images she has used in her younger days. They were in a different style and very evocative. And she had to give many away but had salvaged some special pieces for me that made their way into history when sad times took over. A friend had held on to many treasures for my mum, but tragedy affected her life as well. It’s so hard to go back to her and ask for my clay dolls. I remember one particular model – a very realistic portrayal of a traditional Brahmin. One who really knew the scriptures and actually subsisted on Bhavati Bhikshaam Dehi. Today I increasingly feel like his alter ego. It is nightfall and evening pages draw to a close. The stomach calls as usual.

4 comments:

  1. I almost inhabited your world there for a second... Now my stomach is calling too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for almost inhabiting it. Maybe soon we can bring that world out of warehouse mode into inhabitable mode. Meanwhile my stomach hears your stomach and heads to the kitchen else I will eat at midnight like dear Dr Banerjee of yore

      Delete
  2. I love how you are so conversational in your phrasing. Do you even need us at all? You seem to be perfectly at ease with holding a dialogue all by yourself :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting observation. I think that comes because I actually have so many of you. Those conversations with you all get internalized and express themselves in this manner. Thanks so much for reading and commenting. Do share if you like these posts.

      Delete

Your turn to write ... don't leave it unwritten