Search This Blog

Monday, November 5, 2018

Yama And Maya -1

From 2016 Dhanteras - first of two parts - shared for the first time




I hear a voice in my head. It is talking about a benediction I conferred on my mother in 1980 as she set out to sell some property. The key word was lakh. We now deal with something called a crore and I fear that will shortly cease to be legal tender as the whole scale of values changes with time. It is birthday time again which means it is stock taking time. And that means reviewing blessings but also reviewing among other things, regrets.

I think to myself “They say 60 is the new 40, now make that the new 20 and then it makes sense.” I often tell myself that I channel wishes to my heir (yes I have an heir somewhere around) which project all that my spirit craves to do. Could I do it yet?
If sixty is the new forty, it only means sixty is the time for mid-life crisis. Add that up with “Life begins at forty.” The math fails somewhere doesn’t it? Unless forty is the new twenty. So what does that make sixty now?

If I could persuade this weary worn flesh to take on the vigor of age twenty, I believe I could do wonders with the wisdom enfolded within it. Yesterday I fell in my bedroom and I went “Please God, let me get up. Let me scramble up.” And I did! I iced my knees and used balm and wobbled for a bit. But halfway through the night I realized I was going to wake up fine. I even perched up on my knees by mistake and heck – it wasn’t bad. I can’t push my luck but then this was truly a freak accident and not my fault.

Somewhere within my realm the elixir of youth is floating around. I just need to find a “patra” in which to capture some and stash it away. I remember that Yama Deepam is on its way. Oh, so that’s what these thoughts are connected to then! A day on which we invite prosperity/good fortune/wealth (these can translate as many diverse representations) we celebrate the birthday of the Divine Physician.Think of the ocean churning and Lakshmi’s Amrita Kalasha and the birth of Dhanvantri.

As we do our own power to banish the Great Leveller or Dharmaraja who sometimes muddles up his notions of justice more than our Supreme Court is guilty of. We have to remember he is a Deva. We just finished dealing with the Devas and their ego clashes with the Asuras. The problem with Devas is that they think a little too highly of themselves. It takes a Devi to make them pass up their toy pistols and bows and arrows and sit still while she redefines the notions of battle and victory, good and evil. The other trouble with Devas as you know is that they are lured – by temptation! And quick to be distracted!! 

We only just finished dealing with Mary Oliver’s take on self distraction. Well that’s exactly what happens to Yama. He is dazzled by what appears before him and gets diverted from his purpose. As Homer nods, likewise Yama gets distracted. And very luckily too. Because in the first instance he has set out with the wrong address for delivery of justice! But why am I talking about this? Because Dhanteras is that heady cocktail of celebrating the Doc’s Birthday and the Day of Distraction of the Just One. Double whammy there! 

Which brings me to all those conversations between my mother and myself on time in days and years. Yes we also have Kuber claiming his share of attention as Lakshmi’s sidekick, And Kuber is an investor’s delight. A little history follows. But first a little nap . After all if one claims descent from the Devas, one has inherited the gene for self-distraction. Hand it to those asuras. They never lost a sense of purpose! The nap is over and I find myself with another cup, the windows closed against - guess what – yes the smoking guns of yore. The smoke clings to the dry, still air and tells me all that is wrong with a tropical “autumn.” Ok here I come again, gathering all my runaway thoughts into some order. It helps that I have so much to write. If one idea slips away or ducks out of the queue, another one is jostling to take its place. It again helps this time around, that I already know what I want to say. I have a clear message, a clear intention. I have made all the connections.

The message is that we may be gifted with only so many years, but we use the powers of these forces that come together over the lamps of Dhanteras, to change their value. Kubera teaches us to invest seven days to reap seven years. Dhanvantri teaches us the secrets of restoration. Lakshmi channels the where-with-all to enable these. And Dharmaraja graciously steps back to let Karmaraja work.



Sesame Oil Lamp For Yama


Birthday Candles For Dhanvantri And My Little Sister 


Copper Lakshmi with enormous Owl Vahana


This post might have taken a darker direction but I steered it out into the light. Well in advance Happy Dhanvantri Trayodashi and may your sixties be worth six times your twenties!

PS the picture is of me turning back and reopening my life to restore it. The photo was clicked by a very talented person who could have won a prize for it but didn’t want to be credited.

PS2 I think you get how the title found itself.

You can read Part Two here

2 comments:

  1. Maya, this your Kusum. only you cannot churn out all that.Admirable.
    But you know, I ll give you a run for your money on inability to hold thoughts along a line,without Haring off in different directions totally unrelated.

    ReplyDelete

Your turn to write ... don't leave it unwritten