Search This Blog

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Tabula Rasa

"Unwritten" - the title of this blog. What does this word convey to the reader?
I shoot the word out at a close friend who collaborates on some of my creative ventures and she shoots back 
"It means potential, something within waiting to be expressed, something harbored or secret, an open page, a tabula rasa..."


I grab the magical phrase promptly  as the title for my introductory post. It's like we were waiting to find each other!

Looking at the masthead she continues  
"Yes that's the idea I've been trying to express, a pen poised above a waiting page.  It's mysterious and full of potential.  We wonder, what is unwritten and why?  Hasn't it found its moment yet?  Is something about to spill from the pen...and what wlll it be? Was it too hard to express before, too painful, too beautiful, too precious?  What will happen when it IS written?"

My eye returns to the first sentence and sees the opposites, "secret" and "open" poised together tantalizingly. That is the essence of the definition for me. Like a lock waiting for a key to turn.


Indeed the reader can look forward to sharing thoughts that were growing within me and continue to grow, awaiting that moment of ripeness to burst forth into the universe. That moment of unlocking.

Potential! Words have creative as well as destructive potential and need to be handled with respect and  understanding. Writer though I am, I remain in awe of their power . I appear to toss them around playfully, yet I look deeply and thoughtfully into what they have the power to convey. They hold within them equally the power to create, affirm and comfort as they have to wreck.

Perhaps that's one reason why  they often remain "unwritten"

Welcome to this brand new blog through which I hope to channel the writer part of me and open myself to new possibilities.

You might ask me what potential I am waiting to tap? And what are these possibilities? In the widest sense, the potential of words to transform. Stay tuned to my posts!




9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great new start :) Loved the cover image..
    Keep going, Maya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karan! I love that you love that image. It meant something to me clicking that.

      Delete
  3. Good luck on this new venture n looking fwd to reading some exquisite posts by you, C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the wishes Ruchira. We have a lot to talk about, you and I. Welcome aboard!

      Delete
  4. I'm all eager to read the wonderful posts you'll be dishing out to us!! Adding this blog to my reader!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea that we each have something unwritten inside ourselves. Maybe what you help unlock for us, we can help unlock for you :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have said it in one perfect sentence!
      AMEN to that!

      Delete

Your turn to write ... don't leave it unwritten